Friday, May 4, 2012

refreshing, a double take

Day four, and we're not doing too shabby. I have posted every day, and can definitely see myself carrying this thing through for a long run :-)
And the upside is that even if no one ever reads this, no one ever cares, that writing is fun for me. Especially because I can write about the things that I love. 

Sometimes I feel like I work all day, and sometimes all night, juggling ideas and laying out schedules and managing my own little life. It feels crazy some days, and sometimes it is pure fun, but anytime you are dealing with people it can be emotionally exhausting.

How I would normally deal with emotional exhaustion: 

1) It most likely involves wearing sweatpants, which I refuse to wear in public. Like it is a stretch for me to want to wear them to the gym. (My mom always said you must be prepared to meet an old enemy or a dashing stranger.) So when I get an afternoon or evening to myself, sweatpants and an old junky shirt are the first thing I accomplish.

2) Hole up in my room with a season of one of my favorite shows or a few magazines or maybe just a book of crosswords. This only seems to work for about 3 hours max, then my brain either stops functioning completely and I fall asleep (usually drooling) OR it goes into hyper drive and I get crazy productive.

3) Junk food. Terrible for me, makes me feel awful. But there is nothing like some kind of total carb food to calm my nerves and mind. (Note: this is where the cheese sauce from two posts ago comes in to play as a weapon. I have hidden the cheese before.)


While I haven't given up all of those things completely, it seems to be somehow super freeing to put something down here. It makes me feel productive without doing job stuff. This is just for me. And I love it!


Now I have gotten way off track.
My original intent for this post was to talk about my desk. I love my desk- for the past 15 years of my life it has served as anything you could possibly imagine a flat surface would need to be used for. Crafting, homework, breakfast/lunch/snack/dinner/dessert table, manicure station, display space, workspace, head space, I think I even fell asleep on it once. All of the above and more.
I recently revamped my desk.
It was white. So I, much to the peril of my roommates, sanded it and painted it black without moving it off the carpet in our apartment. (don't worry, I put a tarp down. I'm not completely insane, especially when our security deposit is at stake.)
I took the computer off and stacked it neatly in the corner. I have yet to upgrade from my college computer, which is a desktop. But since I spend most of my time at work and I have several available computers there, plus a phone that I can get email on, I have pretty much stopped using it all together.
I added a few new things, like a more adult pencil holder than the old fashioned sundae glass that I used to have, and the zen garden my Aunt made me for christmas. 
I cleared the clutter, reorganized drawers, gave everything a place and subsequently put it in that place.

Here's what it looks like now:




Now it's more conducive to crafts, and I actually hung my magnet board (and the chalkboard from the last post) above it to feel even more organized and productive and awesome.

Try not to be jealous, it is pretty great :-)
Next time, I'll show you my closet. And by closet I mean I will hide all the crazy boxes, and just show you how I converted my dresser into a vanity. You're going to love it, or so I assume, because I enjoy it quite a bit.

My next post should be about my latest craft, and I have something special planned for Mother's day. Oh oh oh just get ready, because I am stoked :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment